Monday, November 11, 2013

Whole30 Days 10-11: The Hardest Days


Fact: you are most likely to quit your Whole30 program on Day 10 or 11. By this point, the newness of the program has worn off.
 Yes, it has.  
You’ve made it through most of the unpleasant physical milestones,
 Thanks are being offered by all of my coworkers for that fact. 
but you’ve yet to experience any of the “magic” the program promises. You’re still struggling to establish your new routine (read: you’ve eaten eggs prepared ten different ways over the last ten days), and while you’ve been trying really hard to have a good attitude, today you are incredibly aware of all the foods you’re “choosing not to eat right now.”  
Today, was a birthday dinner.  Surprisingly, this went pretty darn well.  I can look longingly at everybody else's grains (that's a phrase I never thought I'd write) but I don't feel cheated or depraved by my own foods.
Everywhere you look, you see the things you “can’t” have
Isn't that the truth.

This is where you really start to experience the psychological hold that your food habits have on you. You’ve put in a lot of effort to get to where you are right now, but you’re still waiting for the results you’re hoping to see.
 I think this is actually going surprisingly well. I think for me most of my psychological stuff was with the diet pepsi/coke/etc.  And I do see "results" so to speak.  I already feel better.  Which is to say, I don't feel like something is trying to rip its way out of my body at all hours of the day. 

At this point, I'm not suffering major food cravings.  I'm eating better, more diverse meals than I was before all this started.  I'm eating more protein, more fat (and probably more calories) than I've been able to in a while and not feeling sick about it.  The challenge for me will be in deciding how to go about reintroducing things and figuring out which things are permanent removals, which are occasional indulgences and which are just going to return completely.  But, if this is just the start of 'good days' and there's even better to come it may become even more permanent than intended. 

No comments:

Post a Comment