Friday, November 15, 2013

Whole30, Days12-15: Boundless energy! (Wait, what?)

 

Let us revisit the timeline.  This week's predictions...

Days 12-15: Boundless energy! Now give me a damn Twinkie.


Hurray! The slump is over! Your pants fit again!
My slump is a rollercoaster... and I still wear pants under my pants so they sort of look like they fit... 
Your energy levels are better than normal – you’re downright Tigger the bouncing tiger!
Huh
But something weird is happening.
Like that wouldn't be weird enough
You’re dreaming. Not crazy nightmare or strange surrealist dreams, either. Incredibly normal and realistic dreams – about donuts. Or Twinkies. Or Snickers.*
OK, so I went through this phase most of last year... I haven't had any particularly crazy dreams or food cravings this week. 
In your mind, sometimes you get caught and feel guilty. Sometimes you just brazenly eat the contraband. But then, the feelings start following you into the waking hours. Suddenly, you’re craving things you don’t even like. (For me, it’s Diet Coke and Twinkies, for Melissa Hartwig, it was fast-food cheeseburgers!) Your co-workers’ heads transform into giant Girl Scout Cookies as you gaze on in disbelief. Seriously, you’ve almost hit the halfway mark, and now this?!
Nope, no hallucinations.  Just when I get stressed, I really want a Diet Pepsi.  Seriously, would diet pepsi really be so bad?  I mean, it's not like I would be eating an entire chocolate cake.  Not that that doesn't sound like a good idea right now. 

All joking aside, though, this phase gets really intense and for some people. This is the part of the program where our minds try to drive us back to the comfort of the foods we used to know. 
Sigh, I do miss my Diet Pepsi.  I'm not really sure how to write my notes at work without it.  It's like someone came along and stole my security blanket. 
Our food relationships are deeply rooted and strongly reinforced throughout the course of our lives and breaking through them is really big deal. Journaling can be especially enlightening and helpful during this phase, and helpful for reflection later. Take some time to jot down what you’re craving, how you’re feeling and what tools you’re using to work through the cravings.
15 down and half way there... 

No comments:

Post a Comment