Monday, November 4, 2013

Whole 30: Day 4 Kill ALL of the Things, Part 1

The aforementioned timeline calls this phase, Day 4-5, "Kill ALL of the things".  Doesn't that sound promising?  They say: 
Now, I have no clue why this phase happens, or why it happens here (and not on, say, day 14).* I just know that it happens. Often. Even experienced Whole30ers (myself included) go through this phase. Every nerve is lit, temperance is non-existent and the only solution to the problem seems to be to Kill All of the Things.
 Day 4, I have not seemed to experience this phase.  Today was in face probably filled with less desire to kill, maim and destroy ALL of the things than I experience at baseline.  I figure that only means I'm going to experience it later.  Or it's what I was experiencing day 1-2.  Or people have learned to stay out of the way.  Or I've realized it's really my own fault for deciding to do this.


*It’s probably because your brain is never very happy when you tell it that it CAN’T have something, and take it out of it’s habitual and accustomed comfort zone. An unhappy brain is a stressed brain, an anxious brain, a fearful brain. No to mention your hormones are desperately trying to keep up with your new food choices, your gut is trying to heal, you’ve had a headache for the last three days, and you REALLY MISS YOUR DIET COKE. So yeah, maybe we do know why this is happening now…
OK, yeah.  I really miss my diet coke.  (Insert a huge sigh and incredibly sad face here!)  However I don't want to kill for it.  At least I want to kill for it less than I did days 1-2. My headache is better.  I still get my usual 5pm need to find a quiet place, stop working and eat some food headache -- but that's baseline.  The 5am I REALLY miss my Diet Pepsi headache has passed. 


Day 4... 
Breakfast -- Squash crust quiche with portobello and asparagus.  There's a lot to be said for a hot breakfast and this was a surprising victory with not-a-pastry-crust.  Plus makes me feel like I should be eating this in a Paris cafe on a fall morning...
Lunch -- Thai inspired salad & squash Pad Thai.  Still delicious. 
Dinner -- Indian Eggplant a la Adithi with cauliflower rice, grilled asparagus and latin spiced turkey stuffed pepper.  To round out my international flavors

No worries... recipes all forthcoming...


No comments:

Post a Comment