Monday, October 28, 2013

Turkey and vegetable casserole

 
  

I thought about making meatloaf.  Then I got a whole bunch of vegetables into the mix.  And this turned into more of a vegetable medley with a little meat thrown in.  Somehow that seems to keep happening. 


Makes: 9x13 pan (12 servings)
6g carb, 11g protein, 1g fat per serving
 
Ingredients:
1 lb (16oz) ground turkey
1 egg or 3T liquid egg whites
3 large roma tomatoes halved (~300g)
2 large carrots, sliced (~200 g)
1 Anaheim pepper, sliced
8 oz mushrooms, sliced
1 small zucchini, cubed
1 small onion, chopped

Directions:
* Preheat oven to 325 F

* Place tomatoes, peppers and carrots on baking sheet lined with parchment paper.  Spray or coat lightly with olive oil.  Place in oven and cook for 40-45 minutes.

 

* After 45 minutes, place mushrooms, zucchini and onion on baking sheet and add place in oven with other vegetables.  Continue cooking for an additional 15 minutes.  

* Increase oven temp to 350F

* Chop tomatoes and peppers into small pieces.  

* Mix vegetables with ground turkey and egg in large mixing bowl.   

* Spread evenly in a 9x13 pan. 

 

* Bake at 350F for 30 minutes. 
 

Variation... 
* This holds together moderately well.  You could easily double the meat and it would hold together much better and be more "loaf" like.  
* Add some seasoning.  I did not season this since I have 12 servings of it to eat myself I like that I can top it with some of my Apple BBQ Sauce one day and herbs the next.  If you wanted something more 'ready to eat' you could easily add it BBQ sauce, A1 sauce, ketchup, etc. or herbs and seasonings of your choice. 
* Mix and match your vegetables.  I picked an assortment of what I had on hand.  They went well together and are to my taste (thus what I keep on hand...) but is by no means the only way to do this.  Note that I resisted adding pumpkin (though it was a close call and I baked some to go with it...)

No comments:

Post a Comment