Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Roast pumpkin

  

It never really occurred to me before how to cook a pumpkin.  I like pumpkin pie and I knew how to make a decent pumpkin pie (from a can...).  That was really all I appreciated pumpkin for.  This fall pumpkin has taken on a whole new level of excitement (obsession) for me.  I eventually (inevitably) caved and walked out of the store with a pumpkin.  I had really no idea what to do with it.  I'm still making it up as I go, but I've enjoyed it completely so far. 

This is Roasted pumpkin.  Incredibly simple and I highly recommend it.  



Simply prepare the pumpkin by washing, remove the top and cut it in half.  Then scoop out the stringy guts and seeds.

Sprinkle the fleshy side with ground cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves.  It would probably be fine without this or with your preferred seasonings. Probably delicious with a little brown sugar... 

Place the halves skin up on a baking sheet. (I line my with parchment paper; foil or nothing at all would be fine, but lining it definitely aids in the cleaning process.  I also only roasted half because I wanted to play with the rest of it in other things.)

Bake in a preheated oven at 375F until it is tender and easily pierced with a fork.  The flesh will be soft and caramelized brown around the edges...

I cut it into quarters and just slapped it on a plate to eat.  OK... so I couldn't resist and just grabbed a fork and ate it, still steamy, straight from the pan.  Then I cut the other pieces and stuck them in the fridge for later... I did a little internet research and learned that you can eat the skin with no ill effects.  Except it seems there are a lot of people out there with textural issues related to pumpkin skin.  I did not seem to have that issue.   Mmm, more pumpkin to come...

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment